Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Editing, as much as I dislike it, may be where the magic happens.

Writing is delightful, full of beginnings -- meeting the characters, exploring their world, setting them on an adventure. Writing feels like the first of May -- trees in bloom, journeys started.

Editing feels like carving into a knotty tree with a chainsaw. Every spare subplot, every awkward sentence, every cliche causes the saw to buck. And then, when all the negative space is trimmed out, the question becomes whether or not what's left is the true seeming of the story.

I had a revelation about where a couple of my stories  (novella? novel?) should go, and I've been wielding the chainsaw lately. I think they're getting better. I think. It's sometimes hard for the one with the chainsaw to judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.