Saturday, April 7, 2018

Venting

I need to vent.

Something is really hinky with Amazon Kindle Scout, and I don't know what or why.

It started on April 2nd, which was the day after my book was released on Kindle Scout. It was the same day that they announced that they wouldn't be accepting any submissions after April 3rd because they were stopping the Kindle Scout program.

It was that next day that my data stopped.

I don't know anyone else in the Kindle Scout process, so I don't know how they're faring with data. But I know that April 3 was the day that my data quit updating. In other words, on the first day, I had 254 visitors, on the second another 254, and no data (not zero, NO DATA) from then onward. which is suspicious in and of itself, because how could I have exactly 254 hits two days in a row?

If you voted for me, I don't know if your vote counted. I don't know if I'm getting any more votes. I don't know if Amazon shut down the Kindle Scout program early, making us last entrants look like we're being considered when we aren't.

This looks, in a word, hinky.

This is what I received when I wrote them about the malfunctioning site:

Hello Lauren,

Thanks for you for letting us know about the issue. We are looking into the matter and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Rest assured that this will not affect your book’s chances of getting reviewed by the Kindle Scout team and potentially selected for publication. If your book has been shortlisted, you’ll receive a personalized manuscript feedback report from us when your campaign has ended, and once the publishing decision has been made.


There's some interesting things implied/not implied in this email:
  1. "We are looking into the matter and will get back to you as soon as possible." I sent this note twice; I got this same exact copy twice. 
  2. Related to this, this is AMAZON we're speaking about. Amazon didn't get where it is by losing data.
  3. If it's only my book that's getting data silence, are the votes out there somewhere or have they disappeared? Will I get penalized for those lost votes?
  4. "...will not affect your book's chances of getting reviewed..." Does this mean they'll review it without votes? Does it mean they're not counting votes for anyone anymore?
  5. If they're not counting/showing data counts purposely, is this a breach of contract?
Needless to say, I am not happy. Somewhere inside me is a grouchy little kid whose slightly older sister got all the nice things while she got the exasperated shrug from mom. That grouchy little kid believes that life is out to screw her over. So I'm fighting the good fight here -- but I'm really grouchy.

And what do I do now that this route to publishing is closed to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.