Sunday, April 15, 2018

Quirky Characters I Have Known

I think what drives me to write is the characters. My characters have been known to show up in my imagination during coffee hour. For example:

I sit in my favorite coffeehouse at the moment, a Starbucks in an expansive space at the corner of our college library.  Grzegorz visits -- he orders tea and brews it strong. He folds his lanky frame into the chair and cups his hands around his tea as if it was his chance of salvation. His copper hair spills down his shoulders and gets into his eyes.  He speaks with a low, sibilant voice, sometimes halting to find a word. "Did I ever tell you about the time I had to pass as a college professor?"

"No!" I exclaimed. "How did you do that?"

"It's actually pretty easy. Wear a tweed jacket, put on nerd glasses, wear the hair in a man bun -- the bun was so tight it gave me headaches -- and explain nonsense in an authoritative manner."

"Hey! I protested. "I resemble that remark!"

Grzegorz chuckles and makes a defiant face at me.



Kat pops in occasionally -- I mean literally pops in, because she's a hereditary time traveler. This is her "natural time", but chances are she set a bounce point in her favorite place, Starved Rock 1958, to get here.

"Hey," she says, standing by the table, gazing with ice blue eyes. "Do you know what the hell that blonde espresso is?"

"As far as I can tell, it's a light roast put through the espresso machine."

"There's no there there, if you know what I mean." She brushed back the lock of white in her otherwise black hair. "Ian says he wants a blonde espresso -- "

Ian pops in, five inches shorter than Kat, his crinkly brown eyes merry in his freckled face. "We were playing hide-and-seek; it took me a while to figure out where she went,"he noted, putting his arm around Kat's waist. 

"I thought you'd never show up," Kat scoffed. "I was about to get you a blonde cappuccino. Which is so far removed from coffee I might as well give you chocolate milk."

"Hey, I like chocolate milk!" Ian protested.



Amarel, their* white-blond hair braided neatly down their back, sits down across from me, smiling with dimples showing. "Lauren," they say, head propped on knuckles, china blue eyes focused on me, "Tell me about your writing."

I had forgotten that Amarel was in training to be a social worker. "I've been struggling for a while. I'm demoralized because I can't seem to get anyone to read my stuff."

"You could," they said, flexing their long fingers as their hands steepled, "write as if they are reading. And then maybe they will find you. Your words deserve to be heard."


Maybe Amarel is right -- maybe I need to write for my potential audience rather than mourning the lack of hits on this blog or on Wattpad. Moreso, maybe I need to write for Amarel, Grzegorz, Kat, and Ian. And all my other quirky characters.

*************

* Amarel is genderqueer, having been born with male and female genitals. This is a preferred gender pronoun form for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.