Saturday, April 21, 2018

The Inertia Paradox

I am into Finals Week in my day job here at Northwest Missouri State University. My schedule has already relaxed as I make it a point to get all my grading done before finals week, and my exams are multiple choice. For all intents and purposes, then, I'm done with the semester except for paperwork.

My summer will be much more flexible -- I will supervise 20 interns, which will require visiting them, calling their supervisors at the beginning of the semester, and some grading, all of which can be scheduled at my discretion within reason.

I will have more time this summer. And it will make it harder to write. Does this seem like a paradox? Wouldn't having more time make it easier to write?

As it turns out, having more time -- or more specifically, less to do -- makes it harder to write. We are all victims of inertia -- a body at rest stays at rest. But inertia works both ways -- a body in motion stays in motion.

During the school year, I am a body in motion -- four classes, half a dozen interns, meetings, other committments. On a summer schedule, I have plenty of time to be at rest, with no timetable set for me. I can spend all day checking for readers on Blogger if I want. Therefore, I'm a body at rest, and without solid goals -- more solid than I have in the school year -- I will become a body at rest.

After this school year, which was one of the hardest I've had in a while, it would be welcome to rest. But not long enough that I become a body at rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.