Thursday, April 26, 2018

Autographs

I asked for an autograph from a friend yesterday. I may or may not have gotten it, depending on whether the Instagram post was meant for me.

What my friend doesn't understand (even if he's given it some thought) is that I did not ask for the autograph because he was an up-and-coming actor, but because he was my friend.

I don't like the whole concept of autographs. They disturb my Quaker sensibilities by putting someone else on a pedestal -- "I'm so honored to have breathed the same air as you!" They treat famous people like trading cards -- "Hey, I got Ryan Reynolds!" "Oh yeah, I have Elvis Presley! Mine's much more awesome!" And finally, because I'm arrogant, I want to respect the person and want them to respect me as well.

That being said, I think there are reasons for autographs, and I actually have a few. Most of my autographs have been from children's book illustrators, because I admire the art of translating ideas into pictures. I also knew the illustrators in question, and I wanted them to know I admired their work. I have an autograph from Morgan Spurlock, because I admired his documentary series 30 Days, and because he showed me appreciation for being a college professor.

In other words, I find the relationship between artist and audience not to be that of the little audience in front of the huge stage (ask me how I feel about stadium concerts!) but of connection between a performer or a writer and their audience.

Or maybe I just want to adopt creative people into my life.

PS: Thank you for the virtual autograph. If you didn't mean it for me, thanks anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.