Wednesday, July 5, 2017

What Makes You Passionate? (No, not about sex)

This question is for my readers -- writers or non-writers: what makes you passionate?

No, this is not about sex -- or it could be, I guess; I just don't want to hear about it. This is about what fires you up, inspires you, drives you to create, or to dance, or play with your kids, or even to sell Mary Kay (if you're out there and reading, Cassandra!)

Passion is not the act itself; it's the thoughts and feelings about the act -- for example, "I feel passionate when I read my girlfriend's texts and I want -" (No, that's sexy, whoever of you thought that. We're skipping that today.)

Let's try this again:  "I feel passionate about trains -- it's the history, it's the very size of the engines, the glamor of the old lines in the Golden Age of trains. I love building my own elaborate layouts for HO gauge and building scenery and picking out my rolling stock ..." (Note: I had to research this section to write it. I do not have elaborate layouts in my house.)

Not everyone describes their passions in such glowing terms. Introverts tend to keep their passions to themselves. Some people are afraid to describe their passions at all, because they think their passions are too strange-- there are a few that fit that category, I'll admit; Ed Gein's* sewing projects, for example.

We need to know what makes us passionate, because that's what makes our lives magical, what motivates us to create, to excel, to grow.

What makes you passionate? Feel free to jump in!

* If you don't know who Ed Gein is, look him up. He inspired both Leatherface in Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Norman Bates in Psycho.

3 comments:

  1. I'm passionate about poetry, and like the different expressions I create.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Andrew! It took me years to catch on to the thing you understand about poetry -- it's all about impressions and expressions and should not read like a newspaper article (unless you need it to!) Thanks for commenting! Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally define passion as something that creates an intense feeling within myself.

    I do enjoy art, and the natural world that I pay close attention to each day. My husband and children garner passion from me because of the deep love I feel towards them.

    Most of the time I am have a very even affect. I show little emotion and compartmentalize most stimuli. There is one thing that can elicit a response from me. I am moved by written words...song lyrics, poems, books, pros-words create visual images in my mind which then evoke feeling. If they are well written and it touches the emotional part of my mind I can become a puddle of tears, sympathy, empathy, pride, fear, sadness, joy or excitement. Hearing the words to an old hymn can bring me to tears,-the imagery and the selflessness of God, the song sang by Roberta Flack "The first time Every I saw your face"-makes me think about John, the poem "Little Boy Blue" by Eugene Field -I can not read it aloud with out crying. -I think of my children. Of course there are many kinds of written words that do not create that reaction in me. For myself I like the way words can create a scene, feeling, emotion or action. Word are so intimate when you listen or read long enough to the same writer they seem to let you into a part the soul of that person. Of course there are instruction manuals or policy-no emotional response other than if i need to keep track of the information or not.


    That is one thing that can truly evoke feeling and passion from me.
    This is Lanetta

    ReplyDelete

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.