Monday, July 17, 2017

... and then, you edit

The process of writing flows for the most part -- guided more or less by character and plot, fueled by coffee, words flow on the page, glowing with the aura of imminent birth. Then, the author peeks at their newborn and realizes that newborns are soggy, messy creatures.

Everyone has to edit. I made a mistake with my first book or two by thinking I didn't need to edit. After all, I'm freakish when it comes to words -- I learned to read when I was three years old (almost simultaneously with learning to speak), read the Journal of the American Medical Association in the doctor's waiting room at age 10, things like that.

I learned that I needed to edit. This humbled me greatly.

Editing is not just proofreading, although proofreading is important. Spellcheck will never be enough -- a student of mine once discussed "Elf Defense" in a final paper. It had passed spellcheck. I still giggle when I think about it, with pictures of "Legend of Zelda" dancing in my head.

Editing, in reality, includes:


  • Reading for flow:  Does the narrative lag? Drag? Does it contain holes that characters could fall into? Conversely, does the narrative speed along, leaving the reader behind?
  • Reading for character: Are the characters consistent? Are inconsistencies explained? Will the reader get to know the characters? Identify with them?
  • Reading for word choice: Too many passive verbs? Awkward phrases? Hilarious double-meanings or mental pictures? 
  • Reading for plot: Are there plot holes? Impossibly convoluted trails from A to Z? Is the plot dramatic enough or funny enough or whatever enough?
Time may help you with the process of editing. I know that when I have a newborn book in my hands, I can't admit anything wrong with it. I've discovered if I let it sit for three months, I pick it up and can't find anything right with it.

You may not be able to do all these types of editing yourself. If you're so accustomed to your writing that you can't see inconsistency in your characters, you may need other people's help to edit. Remember that editors aren't cheerleaders -- but they are the ones who help you grow.


******
To the person from France: I'm pretty sure you're not Emmanuel Macron ...

1 comment:

  1. Editing is a process long and boring it may be...although in that process you are able to fine tune and clarify what your characters are wanting to express. When you provide the small segments of your book I feel like that is what i do when i offer comments and questions about the characters.

    ReplyDelete

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.