Thursday, July 27, 2017

Retreating to a Writing Place

Sometimes, a writer just needs to retreat.

Many writers take occasional retreats just to get away, to have a change of scenery. The words "writer's retreat" evoke fond sighs in writers.

Overseas writing retreates involve international travel and cost. If the writer travels to a foreign country for research and writing, they can combine both optimally if they're careful. Most writers don't make enough money on their writing to take overseas trips. In addition, most don't want to hide in a room writing when there's SO MUCH OUT THERE --

"What did you do on your trip to the Aegean?"
"Oh, I locked myself in a room to write."
Frankly, I envy those who have the money to travel and write.

Hotels, near and far, can serve as retreats. Hotel visits must be used very sparingly because of their cost. In my favorite hotel, The Elms in Excelsior Springs, I told a waitress I was on a writing retreat -- not only did she treat me like a published author, but she smuggled me upstairs to an unused part of the restaurant, turned on the stylish black-tiled gas fireplace, and made sure I remained undisturbed. I lived out my fantasy of being An Author! In addition, I spent a day being pampered at The Grotto, with steam baths, hot tubs, and rose scented body scrubs. Note: By hotels, I mean the accomodations that don't have convenient parking right outside the room. Hotels have decent desks to work on. Motels, on the other hand, do not.

Some writers find that quiet place locally. This choice combines new scenery with savings. I've stayed in every bed and breakfast in a 45-mile radius, and a few others. The challenge with staying in a bed and breakfast becomes obvious to anyone who has stayed in them -- not all of them are suitable for writing. In one B&B retreat, I had no time to write because the proprietor kept me to gossip about all her neighbors. Although I didn't get to write, I got character sketches for months of writing. At another B&B, the desk in my room was a exquisite little Victorian letter desk -- which I could not sit comfortably at. Victorians, it turns out, were smaller than me. If the writer finds a comfortable, quiet bed and breakfast, they've found their retreat.

One last resort is for the writer to set up a writer's retreat in their own home. Virginia Woolf asserted this in her essay "A Room of One's Own". I have an office that would work as a writer's retreat -- if it weren't so cluttered.  So I continue to write in the living room, on a couch, putting the computer on a computer desk, pestered by cats every twenty minutes, and drinking coffee and Chinese tea.

Maybe that's not a bad writing spot after all.

1 comment:

  1. I understand the need for a change of scenery. The writing that i do is quite boring so i do need breaks from my desk. If you are willing to drive farther there is DeMoines, Omaha, Wichita, Joplin, Springfield, Jefferson City, St. Louis, Topeka, or even Tulsa. Have you considered some other diversions for inspiration....haunted tours, historical tours, museums, go for a walk in an old cemetary, or parked your car and just walked in the town or city to take a pulse of that location. My suggestions seem to lean toward somone writing a historical novel. (My favorite genre) You -yourself know what you need to create. Find that perfect B&B or that charming hotel that was constucted at the turn of the last century. Don't be afraid to go farther down the road to be inpiried. This is Lanetta

    ReplyDelete

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.