Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Nocturne

The FEMA app on my phone announces that the three-day heat advisory has expired. The air outside hangs heavily.  I feel its weight in my chest, as if it has settled in my soul.

Too much time to myself, too much time to think. Too many heavy questions -- why does my childhood self walk through my dreams? What does she search for?

I wrote this song twenty years ago. Why does it repeat over and over?
To dance naked in this pool of light
is all the moment requires of me --
eyes closed, as if I were alone
but I know you are there, almost --
almost close enough to feel,
almost close enough to touch;
my hand reaches out to touch your face
and touches air -- you are not close enough ...

Why do the fleeting moments when we know we're loved fade and leave us doubting again?
Why have we all been wounded?


When the cold front moves in tonight, it may rain or even hail. Perhaps that will clear the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.