Saturday, July 22, 2017

World Building

Hi, I'm back! (Waving at everyone!) Now for the thought of the day:


Writers, SF/Fantasy writers in particular, strive to create a realistic and internally consistent space for their story to take place. (I would argue that all writers do this, even if the space they're creating is a bar like in the TV story Cheers.)

What makes a convincing world? A world builder works with the following physical :

  1. Geography of the world. Discworld, Terry Pratchett's long-running comic fantasy series, created a world that was flat, built on the back of a turtle ... (avid Pratchett fans can recite the rest of that description by heart. I have not yet had my coffee.) Making a map helps.
  2. Natural resources. The presence or absence of natural resources will drive the characters' behavior. This item fits with and expands #1. Darkover's mountains, marginal land and short growing season mean that greens can only be harvested in a limited season except when grown in a greenhouse, and dried fruits and vegetables provide much of the year's diet.
  3. Level of technology -- These will depend on the two items above. Without bulldozers, paved streets take a lot of manpower, often convict or slave. Houses will likely be wood-frame with wood preparation done by skilled artisans (as with the Amish). On a desert island, a house may be built from items washed ashore (Think Cast Away with Tom Hanks). 
Notice how each of the items above feed into more practical things like infrastructure, food, and habitations. You can work on the top-down, or the bottom up, but I prefer working from the top ("what is") to the bottom (the consequences)

But we're not done: There are social factors to be considered, too:
  1. Physical form of race(s). In science fiction and fantasy, these could be humanoid or non-humanoid.
  2. History -- this may influence holidays, rituals, religion and spirituality -- but they're not the only influences.
  3. Religion and spirituality. In addition to history, religion and spirituality may be influenced by geography, weather and climate, natural resources, and even level of technology.
  4. Culture -- influenced by all of the above and more, culture includes arts and crafts, hidden rules, etiquette, music, taboos, and others. 
  5. Language -- this may be optional, as at most you'll include a few words or a short conversation. It's very hard to make up a language because there's a lot of structure in language. Examples of well-constructed but minimal languages are Tolkien's languages (Sindarin, Quenya, Black Speech, etc.) and Klingon.
But the most important rule is:

Internal consistency. All of these items need to make sense together. A planet that has never seen humans probably won't have Christianity (or the same Christianity) as a planet colonized by space travel with Christians on board. If there is no history of war on the planet, weapons will only be used for hunting and home chores. 

As I said at the beginning, you may be world-building without going to another world in your book. If you have a special minority on earth (like my time-travelers in Voyageurs), they'll have their own slang, unwritten rules, etc. 

Don't let world building scare you -- it's a wonderful opportunity to use both sides of your brain at once!

1 comment:

  1. I see now that there is much to think about when writing sci-fi. My brain is analytical. I was not a child who had pretend imaginary worlds. I was unable to relate to other kids who did. I had a difficult time watching sesame street during the scenes when the real adults were talking to the puppets. I believed that the actors were not very smart because they talking to puppets as if they were real. I did not understand that they were acting. I truly believed that those adults thought those puppets were like real children. I had a difficult time accepting ideas that could not exist in the natural world.
    I do admire people who are able to able to create sci-fi worlds. I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings series and I like some of the Star Wars movies. Although Star Trek never peeked my interest. This is Lanetta.

    ReplyDelete

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.