Saturday, July 8, 2017

Procrastination

We procrastinate for several reasons:


  1. Because the tasks lack challenge (Housework, for example)
  2. Because the tasks are too challenging (Getting up in the morning?)
  3. Because the tasks are monotonous (Housework, for example)
  4. Because of fear of failure (Why I have five manuscripts that I haven't marketed aggressively)
  5. Because of fear of success (Honestly. Success changes lives)
  6. Because we just dislike the task (Housework, for example)
In other words, we want to perform tasks that are challenging but not too challenging, have enough novelty to engage us but utilizes our skills, and offer reasonable success that doesn't fall outside our comfort zone. If we don't perceive that the task will grant us all that, we procrastinate.

Many factors inside and outside ourselves can create an atmosphere ripe for procrastination. Illness and worry can ramp up our belief that tasks are too challenging. Depression can enhance our feelings of failure. Jarring background music may burden us with more challenge, while bland or crowded surroundings may increase our perception of monotony.

The process of writing yields all sorts of procrastination pitfalls.  Some tasks -- proofreading, for example -- can be boring. Revising a novel or poem can challenge writers to the point of stress. Search and replace on a document can be monotonous (Scrivener, which is what I use to compose my writing, has no automatic replace). The difficulty in breaking into the market with one's writing can enhance fear of failure, and daydreaming can enhance fear of success. Some parts of writing, such as writing a synopsis, can be annoying.

We can trick ourselves out of procrastination. Some tricks I use are:


  1. Breaking the task into smaller pieces. For example, I lay out the outlines for my books in quarter-chapters. Instead of feeling that sense of accomplishment only after finishing a chapter, I feel it with every quarter-chapter. (Small, frequent doses of accomplish reduce the fear of failure and the monotony).
  2. Switching up where I write (this is why writing retreats are so popular)
  3. Skipping forward to a more rewarding part of the book (more challenge, more motivation)
  4. Skipping forward to a less challenging part of the book (in my current book, that means writing in the Michigan hideout part of the story -- less challenging than piecing together the malls in Gdynia (which is pronounced Goo-DOON-ya for you English speakers)
  5. Starting my writing day by promising myself I can quit writing after 10 minutes (I'm dealing with minor depression today -- this is my best strategy for writing with depression).
Procrastination is not our friend, but we can negotiate a cease-fire with it.

Thanks for reading. I love you all.



1 comment:

  1. Procrastination is a part of completing any task we decide to do. It can become too much of a problem if we don't complete the assigned task. That can effect our job performance. I assume that most people perform the undesired task just to get it done so they can maintain employment. Then there the tasks that do not have a deadline and will be waiting for us when we get back. Those are the tasks that can be put off indefinitely until we run out of clean underware or we don't have any clean dishes to eat from.
    Procrastination gives us a break from doing the work we don't want to do at the time. If you continued to force the creative process even when you want a break...you are not inspired it feels like drudgery and the quality of your work suffers.
    This is Lanetta

    ReplyDelete

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.