Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The Dance

I have a friend I've never met. I suspect he has been involved in creative/artistic pursuits -- acting, modeling, beatboxing, probably singing -- since he was born. (If you're reading this, you know who you are). I suspect he grew up in a family that supported creativity. One of the things I've observed about him is how easily he can gather support to help him develop his craft further, to counter the annoying people who would prefer he do something practical.

Watching him and his friend jam on Facebook night before last, I realized that I felt like I literally sat in that jam session, even though I didn't speak a word of Polish. It wasn't just watching my friend twiddle with electronic equipment while his friend strummed; it wasn't just hearing how the sound coalesced into a mood, into a journey -- although that was part of it. It was about feeling the joy that emanated from those two musicians, and returning the joy back.

That feeling is what creatives live for -- creating for oneself is okay, but creating for community far surpasses that.

This symbiotic relationship of artist and audience has existed since the beginning of time. The Balinese gamelan, an orchestra of bells and gongs, has cultural rules as to how the orchestra is set up -- in the village square, on the ground, at the same level as the audience. This reflects that relationship between musician and audience, and the belief that creativity doesn't happen without audience involvement.

Writers have some disadvantage in finding that support system. We write secretively, and when we tell our friends about what we're writing, it comes off as "I'm writing -- uhh, THINGIE..." Most locales have writers' groups, but a newcomer walks into the group's already established relationships and often feels lost in the outskirts. Writers depend on getting published to be heard, and publishing a book is nothing like standing in the town square and playing. Some authors excel at Twitter exchanges, some blogs (I would recommend John Scalzi). Some, like me, are just beginning to explore this.

The exchange between creator and audience, at its best, feels like a dance. The creator invites us to the dance, making us feel welcome to shed a little of our stiffness. Then we dance, not always in a physical sense, but we feel a part of what's being created.  It feels a little like this --

I shed my clothes to dance in light
again, spinning wildly into sky --
my hand reaches out to touch your face
and touches heat, and touches light --
almost close enough to touch,
almost close enough to feel --
my hand reaches out to touch your face --
I touch your hand, and we are close enough.

Thanks for listening to me. Let's dance.

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting concept that i have not considered before. The creative side desires an audience. The invitation is unspoken but still exists inside the heart of the creative soul. Giving life to the desire unleashes the passion, joy, and energy that was previously contained. That is the connection that other people see and admire in the work of any artist, singer, writer, or dancer. That passion is what the audience is drawn to.
    This is Lanetta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it fun to think about? I used to sing folk music, and I would occasionally catch that feeling from the performer side of things (very occasionally). I followed a roots rock band who could create such a positive space for their audience ...

    ReplyDelete

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.