Friday, January 19, 2018

Marcie shows up to class

Hi, it's Marcie. Remember me? Aunt Laurie let me come to class on Tuesday because she said it's about happiness. My aunt gets to teach a whole class about happiness! I want to take that class. It sounds a lot more fun than math.

I was the youngest person in the class; everyone else was almost as old as Aunt Laurie. I mean, not old-old, but grownup. Aunt Laurie talked about two different types of happiness -- they had big word names, but the first type of happy was the happy you get when you eat ice cream or binge on Netflix -- I think she called it "hee-DON-ick". I think the "ick" part is when you eat too much ice cream. The other was called "ew-die-MON-ick", and it has nothing to do with dying. It's the happy you get when you've done something good, or you do something you really like and you're good at it, and then Aunt Laurie said you feel those two types of happy differently --

I knew about this from talking in one of Aunt Laurie's other classes! So I waved my hand real big and Aunt Laurie, who was of course wearing her teacher clothes and looking all official and stuff, called on me. I explained to the class that when you eat ice cream, you get a biiiiig happy that goes away quickly, and when you do something good, it's not as big a happy but you feel it longer. I think I should be a teacher when I grow up.

Yesterday, one of Aunt Laurie's students walked up to her before class and asked her if she could bring me in because his best friend was having a birthday and he wanted me to pop in. So I did and I told him that having a birthday felt like a big happy and then, the next morning, you wake up and say "I'm older now!" I know I felt like that when I turned seven.

I still feel happy when I think of that. I think I did a good thing for someone.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lanetta - your response disappeared and I can’t get it back! Sorry!

      Delete

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.