Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Marketability -- I don't know if I want it.

I got three more rejections day before yesterday. Some days are bad.

But I've decided (at least for now) that writing to be marketable may not be something I want to aim for. I've observed bookshelves and read articles and have noticed what is marketable in science fiction/fantasy. I may be biased (disclosure: pacifist Quaker, pro-diversity), but the trends I've found discourage me:


  • Military SF or sword and sorcery battle-based fantasy -- for example, Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan saga, The Lord of the Rings, David Weber's Honor Harrington series.  The battle provides the tension, the climax -- the whole plot.
  • Male authors -- many emerging female writers of the 50's-60's used gender-neutral or male names to publish: for example, Andre Norton and Marion Zimmer Bradley. We have obviously female authors now, but many are writing strong male leads (such as in Bujold's Vokorsigan saga again) This is not unique to SF/F: my terminal degree was in an almost entirely female field, and the most lauded work in the field was written by a male outside the field, who received a Nobel Prize for a piece of work that uses circular arguments and misuses the human sciences knowledge base. There are certainly examples of female authors -- but many female authors still are discouraged from writing in SF/F. My favorite authors -- Sharon Shinn and Connie Willis -- have succeeded in the field. (If you're reading this, drop a line and tell me how you did it.)
  • Male lead characters -- preferably alpha male. A strong, accomplished male lead gets tagged as a "Competent Man"-- Luke Skywalker from the Star Wars saga; a strong female lead is dismissed as a "Mary Sue" -- Rey from the Star Wars saga. Yes, not all fanboys are calling Rey or Black Widow or the female lead of almost every story "Mary Sue", but agents don't want to take risks. They want guaranteed sellers, and it's easier to dismiss a character as a "Mary Sue" than to risk putting their bets on saleability. Women writers report being scared of writing female characters. By the way, in the mostly female romance genre, a true "Mary Sue" like Bella from Twilight is perfectly acceptable.
  • No three-dimensional relationships to anchor the tale in humanity -- we have the term "love interest" instead. A love interest lives in the background, doesn't have to be well-developed. The "love interest" is almost invariably female. Or if they're male, they're often the savior. 

My problem is that I know these trends, and I write to subvert these trends. 


  • I want to communicate that bloodshed isn't the only way to settle things. Even the "War is Hell" plots treat war as necessary. I'm a pacifist. 
  • I'm obviously a female author, although "Lauren" might be gender-neutral enough that agents don't know that. 
  • My leads are almost always female with a full range of gender manifestations, and my male characters run the gamut from very alpha male to androgynous. One of my strong characters is a true androgyne genetically.
  • The most important thing is that I write these things without treating them as more important than the plot. I assume that pacifism is a possible option, just as military SF assumes war is the only option. 
  • I assume multicultural and non-white groups are the norm. 
  • I assume the protagonist can have a supportive relationship rather than a girl back home waiting for him. I don't preach, I just describe.


But then there are the ideas that go around in my head as I send queries. "Is it worth it? Is my writing good enough? Is my work too strange to be taken seriously? Is it not SF enough? Do I have to start writing romance? (Oh God, no; I hate writing sex scenes. Everyone's orgasms are over the top every time, and how can you name genitalia without sounding ludicrous?) These alone might be causing my suffering every time I get rejected, because it's hard to shut the monologue up. The thing is, I won't know until I work with a developmental editor, because it will take one to help me understand if it's my writing or not.
********

I have an idea for a shirt: "Writing is my dysfunctional lover". Anyone want one?  A t-shirt, I mean :)


2 comments:

  1. Oh think that would be a funny t-shirt. I dont know the rules about writing. As a reader i tend to perfer books with characters who i have developed a relationship with. Plot of course is important. I don't always finish every book that start. If the plot drags or I do not care about the main characters I will simply stop reading the book.
    This is Lanetta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know more than you think -- the whole worry that agents have is that the publishers might not buy the book because they think readers won't like it. So the process is: Author writes book as they want it because they write what they love. The agent tries to guess whether the book will sell because, if it doesn't, they don't make money. If the book passes the agent's test (often based on what they themselves like), they try to sell it to a publisher. A good book is not necessarily a marketable book.

      Delete

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.