Wednesday, January 31, 2018

A story of resilience

This afternoon and tomorrow, I have the privilege of participating in the Dear World college tour. Apparently, it's a chance to tell one's story, followed by a portrait with a pertinent phrase from one's story written on one's face and body (don't worry, it's not a nude portrait).

I've been thinking about what my story is. I thought at first it was about my bipolar and my fear of stigma about that. But I realized that the true story is bigger, the worries about it are bigger, the payoff is bigger.

My story is not about survival, and it's not about recovery.

My story is about resilience. Resilience is defined as the ability to recover quickly from adversity.

As a child, I faced a lot of adversity -- by the time I was sixteen, I had been raped once by acquaintances, sexually abused a handful of times, and endlessly bullied at school. I had grown up in an atmosphere of unpredictability, threats of abandonment, and broken promises. (If I have any relatives reading this, I am sorry if you struggle with this account of my childhood. But it did happen.)

But there were also some of the things in place that helped me not just survive, but flourish. My father was a pillar of stability. There were teachers at school who recognized my intelligence and encouraged me to use it. My speech therapist, Miss Gimberling, who I met with from kindergarten to fifth grade, encouraged me to draw and talk. I later learned she stood in for a school psychologist. My intelligence may have helped. Since then, I've survived a marriage failure that hooked into my trauma, bounced back from my department at the college being disbanded and being thrown into a department I didn't think I had a lot in common with, and gotten through the negative experience of inpatient behavioral health ward.

But with all this and bipolar disorder going on, I earned a Ph.D in 1993. I've taught as a professor for almost 25 years. I've learned a lot, using knowledge instead of defensiveness in meeting the world. I still have to use all those strategies I've learned to cope, and sometimes I struggle when the medication fails. I still have bad days. But I'm willing to take those two steps forward before one step drags me back.

And I've always enjoyed life. I've always collected people's stories, told stories, laughed at random moments nobody else laughs at, communed with nature, indulged my alter-egos, worn obnoxious lipstick that matches my outfits, followed the exploits of famous internet cats, taught classes outrageously, sworn egregiously, worn cat outfits for Halloween, set Big Audacious Goals and accomplished them, fallen in love, fallen in limerance, fallen in limerance AGAIN, and gotten kissed by more people than you might think, in usually ludicrous circumstances. And to look at me, you wouldn't believe I'm anything but an older woman with obnoxious lipstick.

I wonder if I should be writing this. Introspection doesn't necessarily fit into a blog about writing. Except it does, because it explains where stories come from.


1 comment:

  1. This is honest, forthright and showing us the reflect in the mirtior in your minds eye. Again this is you bearing your soul a peek and a glance in in the inner workings of your mind.
    This is Lanetta

    ReplyDelete

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.