Sunday, January 14, 2018

Returning to a work in progress

I've decided to write on Prodigies again, and it's been at least three months since I've touched it, because I've been working on my NaNo book, Whose Hearts are Mountains. I'm being drawn back to that book because of a few things:

  • First, the mystical sense of the book. One character survives a fatal shooting, and another can bring the freshly dead back to life. Discussions . We have a character who dreams. Characters have to deal with their religions, their morality, and where these change.
  • The group of four main characters are in close space a lot, and they're being pursued because of their talents. They get on each other's nerves.
  • There's humor. I wasn't aware of how little humor there has been in Whose Hearts are Mountains, as if nobody laughs after the collapse of the United States. People laugh in even the worst of circumstances. I don't know what I was thinking. I think some of the best situational humor I've written is in Prodigies.
  • I love the characters -- two teens and two slightly older adults: Grace, who is by turns blunt and guarded, denies her talent; Ichirou, an odd introvert, is so interested in the effects of his mind-influencing art that he doesn't consider the moral implications; Ayana, Ichirou's teacher, holds secrets that may endanger their lives; while Greg's talent disturbs their sense of what is possible.
  • It's a coming of age story from the viewpoint of Grace, an emancipated minor who spent her childhood in boarding schools.
I'm going to have to re-immerse myself into the characters, their conversations, their goals and purposes. I'm going to work back into feeling their voices in my head and heart. And then, hopefully, bring that attachment back to finish Whose Hearts are Mountains, which I feel has been lacking the humor and the heart that I'd been developing in Prodigies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.