Saturday, January 13, 2018

OMG, a close close call!

I organized my computer today. It's running out of storage, and I hate iCloud and am moving my cloud storage back to Dropbox, which works more like a backup system.

The reason I hate iCloud is because it has a tendency to take forever to sync. I cannot reliably get to it as a storage medium. It's not a backup medium. And, sometimes, I wonder if it loses my files in the ether.

Like today, when I'm moving files back to Dropbox, zipping photo files and getting rid of the originals, because I have almost no storage space left on my 5-year-old Mac. I have a really good filing system for the most part -- I always keep photos away from everywhere else, and I always keep Scrivener (writing software) files in either my Scrivener folder or my writing file. But then this happened ...

One of my Scrivener files went missing. This is how I learned iCloud's uselessness as a backup.

I checked everywhere -- on Dropbox, on my Mac, on iCloud, on every possible place it could have been. All I found was a 3-chapter sample, while the document I remembered was eight chapters long. Prodigies, one of my works in progress, had vanished. (Mr. Borowiec, this is the one I asked you to provide me with some Polish dialogue for. No, don't feel guilty.)

So I panicked. Richard, my husband, did not. While I was getting weepy, he looked through his Dropbox account to see if he'd read a draft in progress. Sure enough, he had the full eight chapters. I went from anguished cry to happy cry (just as drippy but not as red-eyed miserable).

Thank you, Richard. You're the MVP today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.