Sunday, October 4, 2020

The Power of Small Rituals

 


 Sunday morning, and our Sunday ritual once again -- classical music and coffee. No newspaper, although we pull up the news on the Internet. Two of our cats linger downstairs -- the big Chuckie with the tiny meow, and the loud and insistent calico Girly-Girl. Me-Me and Chloe the kitten are scrapping it out upstairs. 

We don't play anything but classical music till afternoon, and then we're likely to play jazz. (Except today, when we will break the "no carols till Thanksgiving rule and play my playlist for Kringle in the Night through for tweaks.) 

Meanwhile, the scent in the room is Silver Birch, a very autumnal scent. Outside, there's one maple tree with leaves starting to turn red to remind us that the seasons do pass even when we're too busy to look.

I'm thinking about my ritual to commemorate my book being published. I have a Moonman C1 Christmas Edition fountain pen coming in the mail, hopefully before the first of November. I will fill it with red ink and use it for Christmas things. 


Rituals, as I have said before, are important. They help mark the seasons, the days, the milestones. They help commemorate the everyday and the phenomenal. They help with closure and with focus, with devotion and with loss. Don't ignore the power of small rituals.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you have a rule about holiday music. I try to hold off until Dec. 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, that's willpower! My husband would start November 1 if i let him.

      Delete

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.