Friday, October 16, 2020

Praying for a Change in Our Government

 Less than a month before the US presidential elections, and I am praying.


I am a pretty sanguine person for the most part. I generally don't threaten to leave the country if my candidate doesn't win. I believe  that the US cycles between Democrat and Republican naturally and that we slowly make progress.

That was, until this last election. I knew Trump was going to be bad by his campaign, which ridiculed, scapegoated, and threatened anyone he didn't perceive as his base. His strategy worked -- although Hillary won the popular vote, Trump won the electoral vote.*

Trump has been worse for the country than even I imagined. Eroding world regard for the US, making policy decisions out of spite or self-interest, the naked and self-aggrandizing emperor parades across the golf course of his reign. He courts the extreme right while denigrating those who have served in the military, and instead of decorum he rants on social media. The stock market explodes in volatility as he makes erratic decisions. His view of the country veers ever closer to fascism, with him as the ruler for life. 

I don't want him to have four more years. I want to see my country recover and prosper. I want the white supremacy to be driven like cockroaches into dark corners where they'll starve. I want us to become equals to Europe instead of the laughing stock we've become. 

And so I pray, and I cry for what this country has become.



*For those of you living in true or representative democracies, the electoral vote is an arcane peculiarity of the US. For those of you in the US, the electoral vote is an arcane peculiarity of the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.