Thursday, October 1, 2020

Milestones, Rituals, and a Vague Dissatisfaction

 


 

 I believe it's important to have rituals to celebrate and commemorate one's big accomplishments. Graduation, birthdays, marriage, childbirth*, and other milestones have their parties, their recognition from the community that something important has happened. 

That being said, I don't know what I will do to recognize my accomplishment of self-publishing this novel. I swore to myself that I would have a book party (the real name escapes me) but that was before COVID -- I wouldn't chance a gathering now because people I love are at high risk. 

I used Canva to make an advertising poster and print it in 12x16, and it's now framed and looking for a home. That seems terribly symbolic of my feelings right now. I don't want to get to publication day and say "That's nice, now what?" I need to find that ritual so self-publishing feels like the accomplishment it is.


____________

* Just don't get me started on gender reveals, because gender is complicated and messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.