Thursday, October 15, 2020

Struggling with Time

 This morning, I'm listening to Parliament-Funkadelic and drinking my coffee to wake me up. If this doesn't work, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The mornings are pretty dark now and getting colder. 

I don't feel like I'm 57 years old until I remember and then count the years from that point: twenty-nine years from the time I got hit by a car; forty years from my first boyfriend; fifteen years from when I got tenure. Fifty-two years from when I got my tonsils out.


I remember fixtures from my life that changed in the technological revolution. I remember my speech teacher recording me with a reel-to-reel tape recorder. I remember my first transistor radio. I remember the portable tape recorder roughly the size of a package of Chips Ahoy. The computer with the grey screen and the green letters, typing in commands at the prompt. 

Still, I don't feel 57. The number seems too high; its proximity to senior-citizenhood too close. I'm not resigned to go quietly into my twilight years. Expect me to make waves. Expect me to write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.