Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Acedia


 Staring at the blank page, wondering what I'm going to write ...

I've felt a lot like that the past couple of days. Very undermotivated, at a time where I should be accomplishing a lot. I'm getting all the necessities done, but writing (and even promoting) seems to be slogging down in a morass of procrastination. I'm having trouble focusing on anything.

What I've read on the Internet suggests that this is a result of COVID and its resulting isolation. Acedia, according to one article, refers to this strange combination of lethargy and uneasiness. 

My plans for Christmas and New Years are canceled, so I have nothing to look forward to except more isolation at home. The dread of being surrounded by an uptick in cases in the community takes hold. The days become a dreary routine: Work, home. 

I need to find a way around this -- more cafe time (the cafe is generally not crowded so I feel safe there), a change of scenery in the house, engineering something to look forward to. 

I can't make COVID go away, but I must be able to do something about these blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.