Thursday, April 30, 2020

How Easy it is to Quit

As someone who has started many projects and not finished them, I feel uniquely qualified to talk about how easy it is to quit something.



I have three sourdoughs in the refrigerator downstairs that, if I don't feed them soon, will expire. I was supposed to feed them yesterday, but said "I don't want to go through the trouble." But if I say that day after day, the culture will die out. 

I have to push myself to keep the momentum.

This relates to my writing as well. If I don't write this blog every day, it will probably expire. If I don't work on polishing or writing or rewriting daily, I will probably abandon writing. 

The things that are easy to quit have no immediate rewards to keep me going. It's human nature to seek immediate reward, and it's human nature to conserve effort. Doing the things that are easy to quit, then, requires a longer view and an ability to find reward in the process rather than the result. 

So I write this blog daily, even though it's easy to quit. The rewards are nebulous (I average 40 readers a day right now, but hope for more) and I find value in the experience of writing itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.