Monday, April 13, 2020

A Time to Write

Me during the Pandemic

During the pandemic, I teach at home, and I have plenty of time when I have no emails to answer, to projects to grade, and no meetings to attend. And no distractions from the outside. 

So I write.

I just got done doing another edit of Whose Hearts are Mountains, which had suffered in the querying process. I mainly edited for plotting, using the Save the Cat protocol. I now have that out to my friend Ken (Hi, Ken!) who will be as brutal on it as any developmental editor. Then I'll tweak and go to my final 30 queries.

Now, I'm working on Gaia's Hands again, the problem child of my lifetime. I've decided, through consult with a writing coach and reading over Save the Cat Writes a Novel, that I've been going about it all wrong. First of all, the story is an unusual romance in addition to being a fantasy, which makes me grit my teeth a bit because it's never going to be marketable as a fantasy. Second, its timing is all off. What this basically means is that I am going to have to rewrite the whole thing. I know I could put it in a drawer and forget it, but it's foundational to another series. And now that I'm beginning to understand the story, it is compelling.

When I mean "unusual romance", I mean this: Josh Young has a thing for Dr. Jeanne Beaumont, even though he's twenty-five years too young and she's out of his league, what with that Ph.D. and that plant patent of hers. Jeanne Beaumont wishes she were younger and prettier, because she's become intrigued by the graceful Josh Young.

There's more to the story, because I have to juggle in the fantasy element. But you get the idea.

I like the fact that I've decided to try harder, even if I never get published. I think at this point that learning is more important than getting published. 

I still have my fingers crossed for publication. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.