Tuesday, April 14, 2020

My Problem Child



My first novel has always been my problem child. I wrote Gaia's Hands based on a dream/fantasy I had of a May-December relationship, only the female was the older one.  Because I didn't want to write a romance novel (plus I couldn't see an audience for this one), I developed a quirky fantasy line involving the most high-powered   version of a green thumb you can imagine. There's always seemed to be something missing, or something awkward about it, and I've tried many ways (usually cutting things) to see if that helps. It didn't. There was still something lacking.

The other day, a book coach with a romance background looked at it, and she said there were two faults -- 1) not enough emotion; 2) It should actually be a romance. to be honest (and I apologize to the romance writers who read this) I have read a lot of romances I don't identify with, with tropes that annoy my feminist sensibilities: the heroine who doesn't think she's attractive but she's drop-dead gorgeous, the male who's the strong silent type. I don't want to write those tropes, and I'm afraid I'll be an unreadable romance writer if I write the truth about Josh and Jeanne -- she's twenty years older and a Rubenesque professor; he's built like a lightweight wrestler and the most macho thing he does is practice aikido (and has achieved the equivalent of first level black belt).  He writes poetry and stories; she designs permaculture gardens. He is intense and hungry; she's a bit preoccupied with his research. They both think what they want is impossible.

The trouble is, I have to believe in their romance to write it, and right now I'm like Jeanne, who thinks it's a biological impossibility that a twenty-year-old guy would fall in love with a 45-year-old woman. I know the other way around is possible sort of -- I have gotten crushes on 20-somethings with small builds. But, again, like Jeanne, I don't know how that could be reciprocated. If I want this book, I have to find a way to believe in that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.