Saturday, May 23, 2020

Contemplating self-publishing



I have decided that I may self-publish if my efforts to publish traditionally don't yield any results.

This is a big change, as those of you who have been following the blog would notice. I had been strenuously arguing that self-publishing doesn't give one the strong incentive to improve and requires a lot of work from the author. I would still argue this, but I have been improving and submitting since 5 years ago, and this is a long time to be getting rejections (about 250 or so).

Then I found that an author I follow has been self-publishing for close on two years after her publisher and her agent dismissed her. This was an author who had three books traditionally published. 

It is obvious the industry no longer nurtures its writers. I think this was what I was looking for in a traditional path -- some nurturing, because this is all new to me. Not that I would be a victim for fraud -- I'm actually good at spotting that. It's just that I wanted advice and encouragement, and now I know that's not happening.

So what I'm going to do is let this query run through (I get rejections daily), and I'm going to research the possibility of self-publishing (platforms, where to get cover art, etc.). I might do one more set of queries 6 months from now while I'm working on a plan to brush up my media presence, etc. 

We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.