Thursday, May 28, 2020

Reimaging Josh

Writing status is pretty much stalled lately. What writing time I've had I've donated to trying to figure Josh. my male lead in Gaia's Hands, out.

I decided to make him a few years older. He's now 25 and an instructor at Jeanne's university. This creates them more equal, which is a thing that had been bothering me since I started writing the original work some 5-6 years ago. 

But who is Josh now?

Much the same, although a bit more confident and a bit less puppyish, which is a good thing. Physically, he stands slightly below average, slender but deceptively strong from his aikido training. His brown-black hair touches his collar. He has lighter brown, almond-shaped eyes from his father's Chinese heritage, and a quirky smile. (Which brings up the point that I can't see people in my head. I have a person in mind when I write this, but I cannot find any up-to-date pictures of him on IMDB, alas.)

Personality wise, he's pretty calm and balanced, yet he chose aikido to temper his anger from being bullied as a child.  He's mature for his age, but he's also a writer and mystic. He sees visions now and again that help guide his life, but he pays the price in headaches. He practices aikido and Shinto, has a fascination with Japanese spirituality, but his heritage is Chinese/Italian/Irish.

Josh's worst fear is rejection, especially rejection for the mystical side he usually keeps hidden. He is driven by creativity, honor, and love; his biggest fault is his temper.

Josh, like everyone, is a set of contradictions. I still don't know if I have him developed enough in my head yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.