Tuesday, May 12, 2020

A Slap



So these last few weeks have been a great growth time for my writing. I have revised two out of my four novels (Whose Hearts are Mountains and Prodigies) to give more of a development of character at the beginning instead of barreling into the plot immediately. I am working on a third, Apocalypse for the same, and the fourth, Gaia's Hands, is going to require a lot of work, especially now that I know it's a romance novel. 

And I would never have known to do this without rejections from agents sending me to developmental editors and beta readers and books about writing. I haven't been revising just to pay my dues; I really feel like I have a better product because of it. 

My mother once told me it took two people to paint a picture: the artist and the person who slaps the artist when they're done. At this point, I feel like I need a slap. I need someone to read something and tell me if I'm done. 

And then, in my next set of queries, what if I don't get accepted by an agent? What's next? I have really no idea to be honest. I suspect it will feel like a slap in the face.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.