Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Getting inside Josh

Because I can't draw my character. Because I can't post a male nude. Use your imagination here.



I'm still working on Gaia's Hands, because I don't have much else to do right now. 

I'm trying to get into Josh Beaumont's (male lead) head so I can develop and write him more fully. This is a challenge for me, because I'm not 1) male, 2) twenty years old, and 3) a mystic. No, scratch 3); I've had some nonstandard experiences in my life. 

I want to be authentic with the character, especially with his sexuality, which is an important part of what is basically a romance novel at its heart. Josh is pretty normal in that category, except for the fact that the object of his affections is 25 years older. And he's a virgin. As an older woman, I want to make sure this is realistic (other than the age thing, which happens sometimes) and not personal wish fulfillment.

This isn't a total problem, because Josh is mature for his age (about 25 emotionally) and I think that comes from his being a mystic. Josh has visions that change the course of his life, and Jeanne has been the star of his visions lately. 

So I want to paint Josh as a gentle soul, but with drive. Someone who sublimates drive into poetry. Someone who's going to finally ask for what he wants when he can't hold it back anymore. 

He's my project for today. Let's see where I can go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.