Monday, May 11, 2020

Heaven and a Cup of Coffee



"I feel like I've died and gone to Heaven."

I thought about the phrase this morning while drinking the best cup of coffee my husband's ever made, and I wondered what that would actually be like. I know that different people's notions of heaven differ, but many of them seem to look like life on Earth except, maybe, with less material goods, more leisure, and more happiness*.

If this is Heaven, I can't help but think I will have feelings other than joy and a deep contentment. I'll have left all these people I know and a life I've stated as "pretty darn good". Won't I mourn my lost life? Won't that perfect cup of coffee make a poignant reminder of my mornings on Earth? 

Wouldn't I get tired of my perfect coffee every day? Part of what I love about our coffee in the morning is the fact that my husband and I order the varieties we want to try, Richard (husband) roasts the beans, and we critique the resulting brew. Wouldn't we lose something if the coffee wasn't of our production? 

So I think of Heaven, and I worry a bit. Because if Heaven is that perfect cup of coffee, I'm afraid I would be bored before long.

***************



* Less materialism seems to be a predictor of happiness on Earth as well, so there might be something to this vision.


**My notion of Heaven is that I will become a traveling soul with consciousness that can zip across Heaven and Earth at the speed of a thought. As I travel,  I will quickly lose more and more memory of the material of Earth, and I will only be a force for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.