Sunday, November 12, 2017

This morning: Reluctance to write

I'm not sure why I'm not motivated this morning. It's bright and early (or at least early) in Maryville, MO; Girly-girl the deadpan calico cat sits next to me and purrs --

If a picture's worth a thousand words, why do I write?

It's a perfect day for writing: warm inside, rainy and misty outside. There Will Be Coffee Soon. I have all day to write --

At 5 AM, 4000 words (my weekend goal) is much too daunting.

How shall I deal with this?

1) Break the goal down into a couple parts -- four blocks of 1000 seem workable.

2) Start writing for fifteen minutes and let myself quit if I'm still not into it.

3) Drink. The. Coffee. First. It's Kenya Nyeri, home roasted, and sure to taste somewhere between a good solid cup of coffee and heaven in a cup.

4) Write a more fun part first. Actually, this beginning part is a good, dramatic part -- it begins with the protagonist reading a journal left by the last survivor of a plague -- but is the plague still contagious?

5) Alternatively, tackle the hardest part first. Right after this segment is a part I haven't really conceived of first, and it's kind of a transitional part. These are hard to write without sounding like a voiceover in a movie script: "As a matter of fact, my adventures were just beginning ..."

6) Forgive myself if I don't make the goal. I'm way ahead, as is expected from someone who loves personal challenges.

Talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.