Monday, November 13, 2017

Melancholy, foggy morning haiku --

A melancholy, foggy morning haiku --

I stepped into fog --
Perfect leaf laid on my porch,
memory of flame.

IF the above had happened, it would be a mystery -- the verb should be "lay", as in "the leaf sat there", yet the verb I use here is "laid", as in "someone put this on my porch". I meant to do that, to go with the word "perfect", to indicate that there's a puzzle here. Why do I think the leaf was placed there? Who -- or what -- would have laid a leaf on my porch? Why? Does the poem hint at a mystical creature? Will I be disappointed if I figure out the the wind blew the leaf from three houses away and landed it, somehow perfectly, on my porch?

What is the significance of the perfect leaf? What flame is it a memory of? Does this influence who or what I think laid the leaf?

Haiku makes us want to feel, to ride along with the words, rather than think. Thinking is for later.

*************
Today, I start the home stretch of NaNo. I'm way ahead of the game, because I'm a little compulsive about numerical goals, and because gosh, this book has spent thirty years in my mind. I have 10,000 words left to win NaNo -- but approximately 60,000 words left to finish the book. And one book half-done (Voyageurs), one three-chapter chunk I'm learning from editing (Voyageurs), and who knows what I can do with the others, knowing what I've learned lately.

And then I have searching for editors again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.