Saturday, December 19, 2020

This story has no flow

 I am really balking on Gaia's Hands again. Enough that I would rather work putting together my spring semester classes today than write on it.

I think the real problem is that it's not writing from scratch; it's working in already written parts to the story. In other words, it's not a flow activity. And flow activities are where it's at, according to positive psychology.

As I've discussed in the pages previously, flow is a concept that's related to happiness. Flow is the experience of satisfaction, challenge, and timelessness one feels when one is in the "zone", which happens when performing a task where one can focus and where one has the optimal level of challenge and engagement. Too simple a task, and one gets bored; too difficult a task, and one gets frustrated.

When I was writing Kringle in the Dark, writing was a flow activity. I could write 2000 words at a sitting; it was even more of a flow activity when I went on word sprints (timed writing activities) -- 20 minutes at a time of just writing. 

Gaia's Hands is just work right now -- the old plot warring with what might be the new plot, old parts needing to be revised, etc. The story has been a problem child since I wrote it, and I hope that this iteration will be the winner. But it's hard, which is the enemy of flow.

Maybe I'll write on my class sites after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.