Friday, December 18, 2020

Christmas Music

 The music playing in the house during the Christmas season is all Christmas, all the time. I'm not tired of it yet (except for "All I Want for Christmas is You").

The Christmas album I grew up with was The Little Drummer Boy, the original 1958 version from The Harry Simeone Chorale. This is the one with the blue and white cover with a drummer boy playing on a red marching band-style drum. And how is drumming going to be good for a newborn baby? (Harry Simeone has a lot to answer for here.)

The album is very good. Choral pieces, many as medleys of Christmas music with a basso voice narrating pieces of the Christmas story. It's a performance piece as much as anything, and if you get anything other than the 1956 version (or the reissue of the album in 1967 as a Texaco promotional item as I had growing up), you'll miss the narration, which makes the whole album.

My most pleasant surprise is how much I like The Waitress's 1982 hit "Christmas Wrappings". I don't know how I missed it all these years. It has a frenetic New Wave sensibility and a very 80's happy ending. 

And oh, I really like Pentatonix. Too bad they only have four Christmas albums.

Christmas music is one of our music rituals in the household. We also have classical followed by jazz on Sundays. (So right now, it's classical Christmas followed by jazz Christmas on Sundays). 

After Christmas we go back to the usual music, with me favoring the singer/songwriter playlists on Apple Music, and Richard favoring classical. By then, maybe I'll be tired of Christmas music. Probably not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.