Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Exploring Christmas Music

 So I'm listening to something from my childhood -- the New Christy Minstrels, which was (is?) a large folk ensemble from the 60s that probably continues in some form to this day. They have a Christmas album, which we're perusing in our great search for new Christmas music. It's beginning to grow on me. Especially "Sing Along with Santa", which brims with quaint snark. It's very early 60's -- folky and earnest.

Then there's the Apple Music playlist Hard and Heavy, which includes the AC/DC hit "Mistress for Christmas", which I can't quite reconcile with Christmas. I'm holding off on Bummer Holiday, another Apple Music playlist, until I am drinking some Christmas cheer and can laugh it off.

Everyone with a microphone has recorded at least one Christmas song, it seems, and compilations don't capture all of them. I haven't seen one with "Dominick the Christmas Donkey" (for which I'm grateful) or "Christmas at Ground Zero" (maybe it's on "Bummer Holiday"?) 

My happiest Christmas album discovery is Annie Lennox's Christmas Cornucopia, which has been remastered and re-released this year. I could listen to it all day, as it's the anti-Last Christmas.

Now we're listening to Kids' Christmas, and I should be hearing "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" any minute now.

Happy Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.