Sunday, December 27, 2020

My life in writing

 There's days I've sat at my computer screen and ask myself, "What can I say that I haven't already said?" And not just my blog, but stories in general? 

Christopher Booker, in his book The Seven Basic Plots, holds that there are (you got it) seven basic plots in fiction out there, and that they all share one basic metaplot: being called to the action, a positive, almost dreamlike state, frustration, meeting the enemy, and resolution. If this is the case, nothing I write is original -- unless you take into account the characters (especially the protagonist(s)), the setting, the specifics of the plot, etc. The reader expects the plot but revels in the journey to the end.

And so I keep writing, because I care about the characters first and foremost, and want to see how they fare on the journey. I want to see their journeys.

And I want to see my journey as well. In all of my posts, there is a journey, although sometimes (especially in writing Gaia's Hands) I go in circles in the wilderness. My journey is not as sharp and clean as a novel or short story, and it doesn't seem to have a plot. I doubt my memoirs will be worth reading. But as a series of essays, it may not be too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.