Friday, December 11, 2020

The Manuscript as Adversary


 I am done with the grading and have completed my semester, for which I'm very happy. I will be spending the next few weeks putting together spring classes for hybrid (in class and on zoom) and enjoying the season. And writing, of course.

The current project will be tearing into that first novel again (the one that has been edited and rewritten about forty times). This story is my adversary, in a very spiritual sense. 

  • "Without the aid of a worthy opponent, who's not really an enemy but a thoroughly dedicated adversary, the apprentice has no possibility of continuing on the path of knowledge"
                                            -- attributed to Carlos Castaneda

This manuscript does not know what it wants to be. It's mystical, romantic, fanciful, mundane. It features the unexplainable in plain sight of an academic setting. It has a secret which is also the theme. 

But I think I finally have it. Someone once told me it was a romance novel, and at its core, I think it is. Two people who struggle trying to understand strange events happening to them fall in love while chasing the meaning of what's happening -- and facing the mysterious villain who's trying to foil all their work. Their unlikely relationship (a twenty-year age difference) makes sense because there aren't others like them around.

Whew! That's a lot to unpack, but I don't want to lose any of it. So fantasy romance it is.

Now to face my worthy adversary.


Note: I know that Castaneda's writings have been proven to be a hoax. These quotes are still great quotes and worth thinking on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.