Saturday, September 12, 2020

I wish I could write modern poetry

 



I wish I was better at poetry.

If I believe the critiques I get, I quit writing before things get good. That's not my feeling at all. I don't want things to drag on; I don't want to put words in just to put words in. I'm writing moments more than histories.

I cut my teeth on Emily Dickinson, who didn't even end her poems except with a dash. But that's not fashionable anymore; poems wander for pages now, and I don't know how to do that.

I wonder how I can learn to write modern poetry without shelling out a lot of money for a master class or, worse, having to take a real college course. 

Poetry, ironically, is what I thought myself the best at, and it's now what I write the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.