Sunday, September 20, 2020

A small triumph and some thoughts on improving

 I got two pieces accepted for publication yesterday! One was a flash fiction piece named "Literally" and the poem "Deep Touch", which is one of my more favorite poems. (The poem above is neither; it's just an illustration of what I write.)

I anticipate the journal didn't get too many entries, because this is an inaugural issue of a journal and it's not a high prestige literary journal. I'll take it -- I don't write lofty enough for a high prestige literary journal. I also don't use the modern convention of longer poems. My heroes are Emily Dickinson and ee cummings -- they didn't need more than about 24 lines. 

To be honest, though, I wish I could write longer poems. I wish I understood what people are doing in longer poems so I could at least see how they work. 

That's something I wouldn't have done when I was younger -- try to improve. I now have this burning desire to improve everything I write, and I think I have improved to the level of my instruction, which is why I need more instruction.

I will always need more instruction.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.