Friday, September 11, 2020

Today is my 57th birthday.

 


Today is my 57th birthday. I tend to celebrate birthdays by making observations of the previous year, and this time is no different:

  • I don't feel 57. I have the heart of a thirty-year-old. Unfortunately, I have the face and body of a 57-year-old.
  • Writing-wise:
    • I still have room to improve especially cover letters.
    • I have options: I can self-publish if I want.
  • World events:
    • I knew we were going to have a pandemic; I didn't count on being this emotionally settled with it.
    • It truly seems as if the world I had grown up with: women's rights, minority rights, gay rights -- in other words, true equality -- is crumbling. I need to find the right way to fight.
  • Personal life
    • I broke a curse that I had lived with all my life. I can't explain it all here, but the situation had all of the hallmarks of a curse. End result: I accept that I am loveable as I am.
    • It's really not bad being in one's fifties -- It makes me nervous that I'm closer to 60 than 50, and I can't believe my high school graduation was almost 40 years ago. 
    • I'm on a pretty even keel emotions wise, for which I am grateful.
In-between the disruption of COVID and the crimes of this political administration, beyond feeling overwhelmed by the changes in the world, the little crumbs of life are good -- laughing with my husband, playing with Chloe the kitten, watching Poirot, interacting with students (as strange as it is with small classrooms and Zoom meetings).

Tonight I will go to dinner at William Coy's with my husband and contemplate how I can make next year a better one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.