Friday, January 3, 2020

Trying to get Twitter

So I'm trying to up my Twitter game ...
My guide to building a social media platform for my writing has been challenging. I find Twitter to be overwhelming.

Ok, Boomer
I'm aware that a good part of the reason I'm overwhelmed is because I'm getting older. As much as I hate this fact, it's unavoidable. And everything I've heard says that the older generation has to explain technology to the younger generation.
The overwhelming factor
What I find overwhelming is the sheer size of the Twitterverse. How do people have time to read all these posts? It seems like posting is akin to throwing the message-in-a-bottle out into the endless ocean and hoping someone sees it.

It's not so bad, people assure me. There's always hashtags. If you can figure out the hashtags, people will read you. If. You. Figure. Out. The. Hashtags. 

My husband just explained hashtags: You make a post; you create a hashtag. Other people notice the hashtag, and it trends, and then people notice, and then you get likes and retweets. Except this is the Twitterverse, which as I pointed out is a vast sea of hashtags. 

To my relief, I know one of the hashtags people use to promote writing, or at least being a writer: #writingcommunity

All is Not Lost
I did the thing I should have done a long time ago -- ask people in #writingcommunity what hashtags I should use as a writer. I also participated in a #writerslift thread. 

Maybe I'll get the hang of this.

If you can help me get the hang of this, please email at lleachie@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.