Friday, September 13, 2019

melancholy

Things haven't been going well lately.

I think I'm feeling the emotional toll of losing two cats (the long-time cat Snowy and baby kitten Belvedere) in a week. Strangely enough, Belvedere is the hardest to get over, even though he was only five days old; he had a purity about him with his little milk mustache and his snuffling my hand. 

There's not much good to balance that unless you count the fact that I'm still writing. I don't want to go to work today; I just want to sleep.

Of course I'm going to go to work. That's top priority; in Maslow's Hierarchy of needs (a psychological construct), physiological needs (food, clothing, and shelter) are the foundation that needs to be satisfied before we fulfill any other needs:



And physiological needs cost money, which one gets by working. 

In a deep depression (which I am not in), I have to remind myself of this basic fact because the inertia and hopelessness weigh me down into immobility. In a hypomanic state (which I am also not in), I have trouble concentrating on the need to go into work. In either case, the larger than life emotions of bipolar overwhelm the logic of everyday life. So constructs like Maslow's Hierarchy keep me focused on the facts of life.

So right now I'm sleepy and sad. It's an easy day at work today, as I get to watch other people run a poverty simulation. Then there's the weekend, and time to recharge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.