Thursday, September 5, 2019

For a dying cat

My cat Snowy is dying.

My husband and I think she had a stroke because we discovered her laying in front of the dresser and occasionally meowing strangely last night. We don't have an emergency vet here, so we have to wait till the vet opens at 8.

The next morning, she hasn't moved, and she meows piteously when moved. She's limp, except for her two front paws, which seem curled into themselves. Eventually, she doesn't even meow, only breathes. Barely breathes.

I doubt there's anything the vet can do. If she's indeed had a stroke, the chances of her having another are high, and she may not recover from this one. As I've said, it's highly likely we'll say our goodbyes at the vet's office.


I will remember Snowy as a peculiar cat. Black and long-haired with a white locket (we didn't name her), she carried herself like a diva and sat with her front feet crossed daintily. She had a fascination with doors, and would paw at them trying to get to the other side. 

Soon, she will be on the other side of the door, where I am told she will climb a grassy hill to the Rainbow Bridge and wait for us. All pets go to the Rainbow Bridge, it is told, which makes it more charitable than the Christian view of Heaven. We, the humans, stay behind, taking care of our other cats, missing the presence of our Snowy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.