Sunday, September 15, 2019

Bits and Pieces

Having a relaxing weekend in Kansas City celebrating my birthday, just as I needed. Now in a coffeehouse on the south Plaza, typing this and drinking coffee and trying to come up with good ideas for writing. 

The computer issue was a ID-10-T error (look at what that spells carefully); it was my dongle for the mouse rather than the USB port itself. But what the heck, it got me down here for a birthday celebration.

I'm feeling really frustrated with ideas of what to write, however. I just finished a short story called "God's Broken Promise" which was based on an experience I had. Richard keeps suggesting characters -- a guitar-shredding Buddhist monk, a woman with a pack of cats -- but I can't find the stories there. I guess I don't start with characters like I thought I did. I start with plot, run with theme, and then the characters make themselves known. 

So what do I want to write about? I want to write short stories with twist endings -- shocking or satisfying or dramatic or silly. (I haven't written enough silly stuff lately). I want to write novels again (although I'm about to embark in another dev edit). 

I need ideas that grab me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.