Saturday, January 30, 2021

Breaking out of the idea-free zone


I have not a single idea today. Unless you want to hear about hot baths, or about coffee again.


What does a writer do when they run out of ideas? I can answer that for myself:
  • Talking to someone. My husband is a good person to bounce things off of, so sometimes he comes up with an amazing idea. (Sometimes he comes up with utter dreck.) Playing “what if” is a very good exercise with another person.
  • Writing exercises. I like just freewriting until I come up with an idea, usually with the topic (“What is going on with Josh,” for example) on the top line.
  • Meditating/napping. At my age, both seem to be the same thing. When I try to meditate, I sleep. But I do get help from my dreams.
  • Stepping back. Sometimes I lose ideas because I work too hard.
I could use more strategies if any of my readers have some. Reach me at lleach (at)  classicnet.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.