Sunday, January 31, 2021

Concentration music

Right now, I am learning that not all music helps me concentrate. The beginning to realize that "Apassionata" by Beethoven is not the relaxing Sunday morning adjunct to writing this blog. It's waking me up, but it's taking up too much of my attention. Dum dum dum dum dum dum DUM! on the piano seems to take over my thoughts.


When writing, I listen to a lot of concentration and focus music. It's usually labeled as such in Apple Music, and it usually lives up to its reputation. The music features pretty even rhythms with no aggressive beats, a steady volume, and calm music without lyrics. "Study music" can range from Satie's "furniture music" and Eno's "music for airports" to modern ambient, modern classical, and lo-fi. 

It's easy to listen to, yet it's not the "easy listening" genre found in grocery stores. It has musical merit with original tunes rather than sanitized versions of popular music. I would be distracted by easy listening, usually wailing with a certain "What did they do to this song?"

Concentration music seems to help put me in the zone, bolstering my writing without sucking my attention in. It's not neutral; it actually helps me write. Richard seems okay with me playing this more relaxed music when I think he'd rather listen to Beethoven. I'm thankful that this music exists.

Right now I'm listening to Eric Satie, having given up on Beethoven. This piece is getting written. All is good with Sunday morning's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.