Friday, June 7, 2019

Questions I ask myself

Questions I ask myself while writing:

  • Do my characters ring true?
    • Do their emotions and actions fit their character?
    • Does their trajectory make sense?
    • Do I care about my characters?
  •  Does the plot deliver?
    • Does the plot build in suspense?
    • Does the action make sense as it unfolds? 
    • Do consequences logically follow actions?
  •  Does the story flow?
    • Is the time and scene progression clear?
    • Does it avoid getting bogged down?
    • Is too much going on at once?


I feel discouraged looking at all these questions -- how can I manage to do all this? Much of this happens subconsciously, or by trial and error. Sometimes it's hard, because I don't (obviously) write the whole book at once, but by bits and pieces. A lot of this I miss with my own tired eyes, which is why I have a dev editor and I let others read my stories.  

So in actuality, it's a matter of trusting myself, trusting the process, and just writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.