Sunday, June 9, 2019

Pessimistically optimistic

I miss the boundless optimism of hypomania, that magic feeling when I step out of the house in the morning, and the sun shines just so, and I just know something magic will happen, because I'm blessed that way

I don't miss it enough to go off my meds, because without the meds my moods shift from elation to irritability to despair within a few hours. I have rapid cycling bipolar 2, so moods develop fast, like a volatile weather pattern. And that optimism could crash into suicidal ideations with the smallest speed bump in my life. The meds help, but anything from lack of sleep to a major stressor could derail my balance.

As a counter to my hypomanic pixie dream girl optimism, I have how I was brought up in a repressively Germanic family. The motto of my family was "Don't look forward to anything, or you might get disappointed." So normal me without the buoyant giddiness or the crushing despair hides in a coccoon of "This enterprise is doomed."

I have to learn how ordinary people experience optimism. I have a manuscript out to a major science fiction publisher. It's been there for three months. I expect to hear about it any day now. Because I've put so much work into the book I think it has a chance, I feel optimistic -- but I don't trust it because it looks like mania. Because I've gotten a number of rejections from this iteration of the novel from agents, I feel I should be pessimistic, but pessimism takes a lot of energy to maintain and optimism feels better.

So I'm waiting for a report on Prodigies, trying to tell myself that I'm going to get rejected and being answered by a bubble of optimism that I don't trust. My only answer is to hold onto hope and keep trying.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.