Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Slush Pile

Prodigies is still sitting at DAW, probably in a slush pile somewhere, as the status hasn't changed since I sent it in.

DAW publishes science fiction and fantasy. They're one of the big publishers for fantasy and science fiction; the others being Baen and Ace. The interesting thing is that these publishers will take submissions without an agent, and ask for the whole book instead of a query.

But submissions begin in a slush pile, or a pile where unsorted books get a first read, and most people don't make it out of the slush pile. What gets the book out of the slush pile and into another set of hands is less how good the book is (though that helps) but how sellable salable the book is. 

I admit I fantasize that my book is on someone's desk, a someone who has influence in making decisions. Or in a meeting. Or on the "Congratulations!" pile. Realistically, however, it's probably still on the slush pile, waiting. 

At least it hasn't been rejected yet. There's always hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.