Friday, May 3, 2019

Summer productivity

My school year officially ended at noon yesterday, after I finalized my grades and finished my office hours. Now I'm officially in summer mode. 

That means I have some uninterrupted blocks for writing. This doesn't mean I'll only be writing this summer. I have a class I'm taking in administration of disaster mental health programs, I have at least twenty interns to supervise, I have research I should do, I have classes to put together for the summer, I have my gardening ...

Professors don't really have the summer off, we just have more freedom to schedule things as we need them.

So, writing. I'm celebrating the end of the semester with a writing retreat in a cabin at Mozingo Lake next week for two nights. I'm hoping the change of scenery will help me get ahead on the rewrite for Apocalypse.  

I'm talking this all out loud because the concept of planning out this summer productivity is new to me. Before my bipolar diagnosis, I pushed myself hard at the end of the semester, usually swinging between hypomanic and depressed, then collapsed on the finish line and slept for two weeks. Or longer. A lot of summers went by when I could barely function to do my summer work. 

Being able to enjoy productivity on my own terms is a very new concept for me. And I plan to enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.